Raisins are the proven enemy but this weekend I was kind and generous enough to make oatmeal raisin cookies for my boyfriend. He better be grateful.
I used this recipe to make the cookies with the following caveats:
- I was out of vanilla extract. They seemed to be implying that some kind of INTENSE EXTRACT flav was necessary for these puppies to really kill it, so I used 1/2 tsp of almond extract instead.
- I used an extra 1/2 cup of white sugar, which is standard for my baking recipes because we like things extra sweet in this family.
- My boyfriend made a rum-infused butter so I used 1/2 cup of that and 1/2 cup of regular unsalted butter.
- I baked the first batch for 8 mins and they got darker than I like, so I baked the rest for 7 minutes instead!
Here is the recipe, for your information:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- In a medium bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in oats. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. Roll the dough into walnut sized balls, and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Flatten each cookie with a large fork dipped in sugar.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
If you’d like to make oatmeal raisin cookies for my boyfriend, please keep in mind that this particular recipe requires at least an hour of chill time between the mixing of the dough and the baking of the cookies. Unfortunately this couldn’t be used as “Netflix and chill” time because while I was making oatmeal raisin cookies for my boyfriend my boyfriend was at work.
The nerve of some people.
What’s your fav oatmeal raisin cookie recipe? I hate raisins so I prob won’t make them a lot but maybe one or two more versions to try would be fun.